Ok, so I have to tell you that as I’m writing this post, I’m sitting at Emilie’s Cookies in Old Nice eating a banana Nutella cupcake and drinking hot coffee and it’s wonderful and feels just like home 🙂 I think I’ve found my new favorite hangout spot.
This week’s secret ingredient is: MUSHROOMS– champignons de Paris to be exact (they don’t have Portobellos here, that I could find) So I made really easy stuffed mushrooms with 2 kinds of cheese, spinach, and hazelnuts… yummmm. Adapted from here.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
8 champignons de Paris (probably equivalent to about 4 Portobellos)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp + 2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 oz spinach (I used fresh spinach, but you could use frozen, too)
2 tbsp breadcrumbs
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
3 oz goat cheese
2 tbsp crushed hazelnuts (could also use walnuts)
1. Preheat oven to 400F (205C)
2. To prepare the mushrooms, wipe them off with a damp paper towel and remove the stems. I scraped the gills out (because these were a bit small and I wanted to make room for the filling), but you don’t have to.
3. Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Toss the mushrooms in the oil and vinegar mixture, place on a cookie sheet, and roast for about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
5. While the mushrooms are cooling, saute the onion and garlic in the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the spinach and some salt and cook until the spinach is wilted.
6. In another pan, roast crushed hazelnuts for 3-4 minutes.
7. In a bowl, mix together goat cheese, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, the spinach and onion mixture, and the hazelnuts.
I was doubtful that this would turn out well because I was originally expecting to use Portobello mushrooms, but it was delicious! I LOVE goat cheese, and the hazelnuts gave it some very nice texture. The 8 small mushrooms gave me 2 servings. Also, it’s ANOTHER vegetarian recipe 🙂
French word for today:
colis (ko-LEE)- parcel, package
On fête Noël dans 7 jours– j’ai reçu plusieurs colis cette semaine, mais j’en ai aussi envoyé plusieurs !
We celebrate Christmas in 7 days– I’ve received several packages this week, but I’ve also sent several!