Brussel sprouts are one of those vegetables that get very little love, which seems strange because they can be prepared so many ways, including boiling, steaming, stir frying, and roasting. These tiny cabbages are also also rich in vitamin K and sulforaphane, a chemical believed to have potent anticancer properties. I found a recipe that dresses them up a little bit to make a delicious side dish 🙂
Secret ingredient: Brussel sprouts (choux de Bruxelles)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
2 tbsp butter, divided
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp cider vinegar
3 tsp white sugar
300 g (about 2 cups) brussel sprouts, halved
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c water
2-3 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and cooked until crispy
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Melt 1 tbsp butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté until soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
2. Combine the cider vinegar and sugar and add to onions. Stir until brown and glazed, about 3 minutes. (I would eat these onions alone, they are SO good).
3. Heat the olive oil in separate large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the halved brussels sprouts and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until brown at edges, about 6 minutes.
4. Add 1/4 cup water and 1 tbsp butter. Sauté until most of water evaporates and sprouts are tender but still bright green, about 5 minutes.
5. Mix in the cooked, crispy bacon and top with the onions. Serve warm.
Serves 2. I made these brussel sprouts to go along with an easy marinated chicken: marinate 2 chicken breasts for an hour in a mixture of 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp melted butter, 3 tbsp honey, juice of 1 lemon, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika. Grill or broil for 20 minutes at 400F (205C).
French word of the day:
tricoter (tree-ko-TAY)- to knit
Je tricote un chapeau parce qu’il fait froid! Le chapeau et mon écharpe vont bien ensemble.
I’m knitting a hat because it’s cold outside! It matches my scarf.